Preschool Mittens Unit - M is For Monster Review

M is for Mittens

The Second Unit, from M is for Monster, that we chose to review is the unit on Gloves/Mittens!  We chose to complete the unit all on one day, since we had another 100% free day!  This set of activities actually took a little less time than the Polar Bear Unit did, that we completed a few days back!

Reading "A Mountain of Mittens" by Lynn Plourde

We chose to start with Activity #5, which is technically optional, and read "A Mountain of Mittens," by Lynn Plourde.  The kids really got a kick out of the story!  I really do recommend getting the books with the set, unless you already have the books -- which I'm surprised we didn't already have -- given the size of our home library!

Items to find "Hiding Inside"

Little Jack Horner, trying to guess what's "Hiding Inside"

Little Miss Muffet, trying to guess what's "Hiding Inside"

Activity #2, we chose "Hiding Inside."  The object of the game is to find small objects, hide them in the mitten & then have the kids guess what's inside!  I picked too easy, and both kids guessed right away, but it was fun!

Little Jack Horner, "Decorating the Mitten"

Learning about Counting

Little Miss Muffet, "Decorating the Mitten"

She's an Ace at this Game

We had arguments over the cute Alligator Tweezers for Activity #3, "Decorate the Mitten."  Little Miss Muffet did not want to share, and Little Jack Horner really wanted to do the activity.  After much coercion, I managed to get both of them to participate & share.  Note to self:  Invest in more fun tweezers!

Little Miss Muffet, Putting "Mittens on a Line"

Little Jack Horner, Putting "Mittens on a Line"

"Mittens on a Line"

Activity #4, was "Mittens on a Line."  Little Miss Muffet thought this was a breeze, but I definitely need to practice with Little Jack Horner.  The idea is to work on your fine motor skills, of course!  I really should also make letter cards and put them together as sight words, to work with Little Miss Muffet on her journey into reading!  Another note to self:  Make laminated letter cards!

Little Miss Muffet isn't sure what's happening

Both kids dive right into "Glove Painting"

Pretty Painting

Little Jack Horner, getting Artsy

Little Miss Muffet, Painting her heart out

Little Miss Muffet's Finished Creation

Little Jack Horner's Finished Creation

Our Final activity, and of course, Mama Bear chose to save the messiest/most time consuming one for last, is "Glove Painting."  The kids were super freaked out when I told them we were going to paint with their mittens... haha!  Once they got into it though, they finished off the tubs of paint that I pulled out for them (I saved the new paints that M is for Monster (www.misformonster.com) sent me, since I had some open paints already).  After they sufficiently tested out the glove painting, they both asked for paint brushes to make additional works of art!

                                                                       *********
Little Miss Muffet had already studied letter M at school, and did talk about Mittens a couple of weeks ago (like a day before I got the M is for Monster kit), but had I had it, it would have made a perfect amendment to what she had already learned at school!  I was a little skeptical that I'd need the new set of paints, but after seeing how quickly my kids used up those little pots, while wearing the mittens, it is definitely a must-have!  

Overall, I really think that the Preschool in a Box idea is pretty amazing!  I love the pre-prepared units, that I don't have to think about & my kids have really enjoyed so far!  I also enjoy following the M is for Monster blog -- lots of printables & activities that I can do on my own, as well as a new Morning Circle Time that is being broadcast on Periscope (and later YouTube), on Wednesday & Friday Mornings! 

The price for this particular unit is $19.50 + shipping, and you can purchase it at:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/261317523/gloves-mittens-level-1-with-book-toddler?ref=shop_home_active_9  You can also purchase the unit WITHOUT the book for $12.50 + shipping at:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/261318051/gloves-mittens-level-1-without-book?ref=shop_home_active_10

The Units that we have remaining are:  All About Me, Winter, & Snowman.  Stay tuned for the rest of the unit reviews into the month of February! 

                                                                       *********

Disclaimer:  I did receive these products, at no cost, in order to review.  The opinions are solely my own. 

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whole30 Round 1 Before & After

New Beginnings ... In August ... 2017

When Life Rocks the Boat, and You end up Treading Water...